Lithium-Ion vs. Lead-Acid – Pros and cons of them affect your trip. With electric scooters
Battery components are the power supply for electrically operated vehicles. So it will ensure you have a perfect trip. Electric scooters have complex lighting systems. You have to start the electric scooter and some electronic accessories are available on this vehicle. You have to use a battery of good enough quality. Because it will power the accessories on electric vehicles. Also you should not damage the electronics with spikes and surges.
Here we will show you how the battery works.
Batteries work by converting chemical energy into electrical energy.
In the battery component there will be the building block of the battery and it’s called a cell. It will consist of electrodes (a kind of metal as a conducting material). This electrode is flooded with electrolytes (gel or liquid containing charged particles / ions). So the chemical reactions between the ions in the electrolyte and the electrodes will produce electricity.
In that basic reaction there will be many differences between lead acid batteries and lithium-ion batteries
The Lead-Acid Battery of electric scooters
At present there are many means of transport such as electric bicycles, electric scooters, electric motorcycles that use lead acid batteries. And today a common lead acid battery has sulfuric acid as the electrode and lead alloy electrodes inside its structure.
Until the battery is discharged, the electrochemical reaction creates an electrode inside it that will cause the acid to break down slowly. And vice versa, when you charge it, the chemical reaction will bind the water molecules to the electrolyte for energy. With this process, the water molecules split into oxygen and hydrogen. It then emits into the atmosphere through the vents on the battery.
There will be a single cell producing two voltages and on the electric scooter there will be a typical battery of 12 volts.
The development of lead acid batteries requires no maintenance. On these batteries, they have a seal, and the vent element is not needed during the user’s battery life. However, if the battery has a vent, it will become safe in case of overload when used.
Many of the batteries will use an absorbent glass mat (AGM) technology. This technology is where a very fine fiberglass carpet lies between the electrodes inside the battery. So the mat will absorb the excess acid solution and support it to retain the oxygen generated during battery charging. And then the oxygen will recombine with the active material and eventually make it back.
Is lead acid battery maintenance needed?
Where the rider uses electric scooters regularly. They will only care about the important factors about keeping the terminal always in a clean condition. In addition, if the rider does not use electric scooters regularly. They will keep the battery from operating for a long time. So their batteries will need some attention needed to keep their longevity.
This power system will have a lot of power in the opening that is shutting down the engine’s system. And this could lead to the user releasing the battery during battery life. In addition, lead acid batteries tend to self-discharge gradually when the rider does not use it.
But during the discharge of the battery will have a byproduct is lead sulfate and they will cover the electrode plate of the battery. As a result, they accumulate more and more on the surface, reducing the efficiency of the battery over time.
However, the user charging process will reverse this process.
In case the battery does not work for too long without recharging, it will have a lot of lead sulphate buildup. This will cause the charging to not work a lot and this is to reverse the situation called sulfation. In addition, the battery will discharge prone to corrosion from the inside of the battery and this can lead to breakage of the internal connections of the components of the battery.
We recommend disconnecting your lead acid battery from the electric scooter and placing it on the charger to charge the drip for it. This is to ensure the longevity of the battery in case you do not use the electric scooter for long periods of time.
Advantages of lead-acid batteries
1. Currently lead acid batteries are very popular worldwide because they are affordable to produce for consumers.
2. This battery can withstand harsh conditions and the user is very careful when maintaining it.
3. Many people find that the internal material of the battery is dangerous but the battery is nearly 100% recyclable for the next use. Sulfuric acid solution can be neutralized safely and reused. Lead-free components and polypropylene can create other types of batteries to reproduce.
4. If using a lead-acid battery, it will be less complicated than the other.
Disadvantages of lead-acid batteries
1. The weight of the battery is too heavy and the bulky size will interfere with shipping.
2. Where there is a lack of suitable materials for recycling, they may be hazardous to the environment.
3. This battery will have a limited lifecycle.
4. And lead acid batteries may be classified as dangerous goods in accordance with Group 8, controlled by UN 2794. This is due to the risk of fire if there is a shortage in storage.
Lithium-Ion Batteries of electric scooters
With rapidly growing technology, lithium-ion batteries are becoming more and more popular. This battery is due to its compact design and ease of use compared to lead acid batteries.
For a particular lithium-ion battery there will be a positive electrode based on lithium. It also has a carbon / graphite electrode. Along with an electrolyte which includes an organic solvent and a lithium component. The battery called lithium-ion is a clear description of the chemical process of the battery. So, the lithium ions will move between the electrodes during the charging and discharging of the battery.
The technology to make these batteries will come in different forms of nickel, manganese, cobalt and iron, and together they combine with lithium. And lithium batteries will often use iron phosphate in individual electrical transport systems. This will help them to be more chemically stable and not overheat during use.
During the discharge of the battery, the lithium ions will move slowly towards the positive electrode inside the battery. So the electron currents (negatively charged subatomic particles) will lead to the creation of an electric current. Conversely when the lithium battery is charging, the chemical reaction will reverse.
Now, lithium batteries can produce 3.2 volts. This means the electric scooter will have four cells stacked side by side to generate 12.8 volts. So with four additional cellular packages, it can be connected in parallel in the same lithium battery pack. This combination is to provide users with more ampere hours. This will obviously allow electric rider riders to go further with their trip.
Advantages of Lithium-Ion Batteries
1. For the benefit of lithium-ion batteries for electric scooters is their energy density. For example, a lead acid battery has up to six cells and they are more dense than a four-celled lithium-ion battery.
2. This battery will provide better resilience to self-discharge during use. and can keep a fee for a long time.
3. Lithium-ion batteries are certainly safer for the environment.
Disadvantages of Lithium-Ion Batteries
1. A lithium battery will require an internal electronic circuit to keep the cells protected from being exhausted. It also helps to avoid overcharging to make it at extreme temperatures.
2. All lithium-ion batteries have a specific charger attached. So it must use a standard charger otherwise it can damage the battery and not recharge it.
3. And lithium batteries will cost more than lead acid batteries.
4. The user shall not leave the lithium battery in the luggage compartment or stored in the trunk for an extended period of time. And regulations require that they not be carried on board during the move.
You may find that lead acid batteries are the most common and if they are used in electric scooters you will have to replace them more often. For lithium-ion batteries will be present in the vehicle transport. Because lead acid batteries will have higher maintenance and replacement costs than lithium batteries. In addition, lithium batteries have a much more compact design than lead acid batteries.
We recommend that you consider the efficiency and cost as well as the higher performance and reliability of lithium battery technology. Definitely one thing that lithium batteries are a better choice for today’s electric scooters. Today, lead acid batteries are becoming increasingly inferior and disposed of in electrically powered personal transportation vehicles. So, modern electric scooter designs will come with light weight and lead acid batteries will not work and will greatly help to keep the transport vehicle running smoothly.